Sunday, August 23, 2009

Biology 101

We settled our daughter Vanessa into her college dorm yesterday. It was sad and exciting all at the same time. We'll miss her a lot - the house seems so empty without her.

Vanessa had to disect a frog in biology class during her junior year in high school. Although difficult for me to fathom, she had enormous fun doing that. Until then, she had no idea what she wanted to do professionally. But after her biology class it was clear to her: she wants to become a doctor. This was completely settled in her mind when she got to disect all sorts of other dead things in her anatomy class as a senior.

So, Vanessa is going to major in biology (more specifically, life sciences) at Francis Marion University, and hopefully go on to medical school. I've been eyeballing this contraption available from http://www.CraftyHedgehog.etsy.com, called 'Knitting in Biology 101.' This would make such a wonderful gift for Vanessa to hang up in her dorm room. Oh, how I wished I could afford to buy it for her:






Here is Vanessa acting like she's working at her dorm room desk.


All settled into her dorm room with the help of her friend and her family.

3 comments:

marciejanedesigns said...

Moving my girls to college was such a bitter sweet event! So many emotions bouncing around! Love the Frog Art!!!
Enjoy!

GrandmaMarilyns said...

So you are going to have a doctor in the house. Time will fly.

cabin + cub said...

Love the dissected frog... very cute.
I remember my first day at college.. I was so nervous! Good luck to your daughter! ;)